PRESS RELEASE: TshwaneLex 2.0 -- Professional Lexicography Software Released
July 3, 2006: TshwaneDJe HLT announces the release of TshwaneLex 2.0
TshwaneLex 2.0 is now available. This version contains over 50 new features. Highlights include:
- NETWORK: Network (teamwork) support allows multiple users to work simultaneously on a single central database. The system keeps track of which users modified or created which entries, or even which senses or sub-senses. Special 'user' filters allow you to review changes made by particular users. A privilege system allows you to configure different levels of access to the database.
- SEARCH: Several improvements to the full-dictionary search tool, including search term highlighting, restricting searches to selected fields, and a "create filter from search query" function.
- 'MULTIPLE DICTIONARIES FROM ONE DATABASE': A new 'masks' feature allows you to select individual elements to be included in different editions/dictionaries. An immediate preview of all editions may be shown.
- PREVIEW: Significant improvements to the real-time article preview, including "highlight selected element", "click-to-edit" and zoom options.
- COMPARE/MERGE: Numerous enhancements to the Compare/Merge tool allow changes made offline to be reviewed and merged into the main database.
- LOCALISATION: Greatly improved built-in localisation system allows the interface of TshwaneLex itself to be easily translated into other languages.
- IMPORTERS/EXPORTERS: A new XML Importer allows external data to be brought into TshwaneLex, and a new CSV (Comma Separated Values) Exporter has been added. Improvements have been made to the CSV Importer and RTF Exporter.
- BY POPULAR DEMAND: An optional larger edit window for editing long definitions.
- Many other new features, including improved statistics, inline element support, several built-in sort methods, new paragraph/indentation/spacing style options, a "load colour scheme" command, and new data types such as "hyperlink".
TshwaneLex is the world's only [TRULY OFF-THE-SHELF] professional lexicography software suite for the compilation of monolingual, bilingual and multilingual dictionaries, and for publishing of dictionaries in hardcopy, online and electronic formats. TshwaneLex is fully customisable, has strong Unicode support throughout, as well as a focus on ease of use and on speeding up the dictionary compilation process.
TshwaneLex is currently in use by over 200 users worldwide, from individuals to large organisations, and for over 100 different languages. To date, over 80 people have received formal TshwaneLex training.
This new release of TshwaneLex builds on the [STRONG BASE] of TshwaneLex 1.0, with, as its major features:
- A focus on user-friendliness, which allows for an easy learning curve and low training time.
- A high degree of flexibility, thanks to the customisable DTD (Document Type Definition) system, based on the open, industry-standard XML.
- Automated numbering of senses, homonyms and other element types.
- Integrity-checking and automatic tracking of cross-references and cross-referenced homonym or sense numbers.
- Special bilingual editing features: Side-by-Side View, Linked View, and automated lemma reversal.
- Multimedia support, automated backup system, and a unique Ruler Tool that ensures balanced treatment on multidimensional levels.
Please note that clients who ordered TshwaneLex within the six weeks prior to this release will receive a free upgrade to version two.
More details about TshwaneLex can be found on the TshwaneLex website:
TshwaneDJe HLT also offers custom development, support, training and consulting services for every aspect of the dictionary compilation process, both technical and lexicographic.